Career In Indusrtial Automation And Control Sector
Industrial Automation Sector is a very vast horizon of Industry right from managing streetlighting to Robotics and space technology. It creates a safe, intelligent, power efficient and more productive environment. Control and automation engineers engage with customers from multiple industry verticals at different levels. They get varied exposure to a wide range of usage scenarios in the industry in automation systems, which is a good beginning for any engineer for his career. Machines are increasingly getting intelligent and this intelligence is enhanced and taken care by software. Currently, more functionality and productivity is being defined by software rather than hardware. Starting from waste and water management to any production assembly line, there is a need for automation systems.
Industrial Automation Is A Multi-Disciplinary Field
Industrial automation is a multi-disciplinary field. It is convergence of various engineering fields— Instrumentation & Control, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical and Electronics to develop a solution. Industrial Automation requires blending of process knowledge, skills, logic, theory, software/platform knowledge, instrumentation & control.
- • Industrial Automation is currently a field in which demand far outstrips supply. This is one of the few technical fields in the electrical/electronic-engineering field where the knowledge or skills available in India are totally inadequate, and students, engineers and experts in these areas will be required by the industry in great numbers in the immediate future. In India, automation has not grown at the pace as in countries like Europe and North America. Few Industries, especially process industries, FMCG, steel, cement and oil & gas, have been leading adopters of automation technologies.
- • Indian market for automation is maturing. With the rising cost of resources in production and manufacturing, stringent regulations, and the increasing concern for the environment and safety, companies are making systems efficient. In Current economic scenario, the decision to switch to automation is also based on cash flow and availability of manpower and conformability. Automation has penetrated to several new areas like building automation, security, lighting, fire detection, entertainment and energy management. The market has many large players like Rockwell, Schneider, Siemens, Honeywell, Mitsubishi, Omron and several fragmented players who have developed capabilities in specific fields.
The Job Scenario
There is huge demand for automation engineers in India, says industry experts. Job scenario in Automation and control clearly defines a serious demand for students and engineers from the branches of electrical, electronics and instrumentation engineering, All types of industries, including automobiles, food and beverages, pulp and paper, cement, mining, chemical, pharma, construction, infrastructure or even power generation and transmission, use automation engineering and technology in small, medium or high levels, depending on the machinery or process. This help individuals gaining knowledge in basic or advanced levels of automation access to varied job opportunities.
Scope And Role At Entry Level
Automation is a very fast expanding field in a developing country like India. There are huge growth opportunities for an individual. Most important point is that an exposure to operations in Industrial automation gives an edge over others, as it helps to attain specialized technical skills. At entry level jobs involve installation, commissioning, project execution etc. and it helps to evolve as an automation engineer with efficient , innovative and safe designs in automation projects.
Scope for career development in Automation
An engineer can have opportunities in three different kinds of companies.
- The first are manufacturers - automation companies that are suppliers of automation equipment and software to various industries.
- Industrial users of automation products and services, such as companies in automotive, power and the oil & gas sectors, Pharmaceutical companies, FMCG companies, Automotive Industries etc.
- Finally, there are services companies, which provide consultancy and services to integrate products from pure-play automation companies with the manufacturing processes of the industrial users. These services add high value by adapting standalone machines and solutions, and customize them to the specific needs of the specific industry and control, remote management and machine-to-machine (M2M) applications.
Entry level jobs
There are two broad categories – One who absorb freshers or engineers with one or two years of experience.
- Entry level roles involve validation of automation and control systems' designs. Gradually, the engineer moves into designing and modeling of the systems.
- • The first are hard core electrical or electronic engineering companies like Siemens, Omron, Schneider, which hire for projects, design, engineering, commissioning, sales and servicing of the automation products and systems. The automation product and systems could be PLC, HMI, SCADA, networking systems, DCS, sensors, VFD's, SERVO DRIVES and MOTORS.
Career In Robotics
Robotics is a branch of Engineering that involves the conception, design, manufacture, and operation of robots. It is a combination and overlaps many fields of Engineering including Electronics, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Mechatronics, Nanotechnology, and Bio Engineering.
From manufacturing line robots to experimental Robotics for the military, medical and automotive industries, Future of Robotics Engineering certainly offers a variety of opportunities for professionals entering the field.